The White Salmon River Fest & Symposium celebrates the White Salmon River, the communities, and the natural and cultural history that surrounds this watershed. This river is an invaluable social, recreational, agricultural and economic resource to those who call it home.
The White Salmon River Fest & Symposium aims to gather the local boating and non-boating community for a day of celebration, education, whitewater rafting and kayaking, food, dance, and more. Traditionally hosted by Wet Planet, this year’s River Fest has been a joint effort between Wet Planet Staff, Heather Kowaleski from All Adventures Rafting, Max Blackburn from All-Star Rafting and Immersion Research, and Jeanette Burkhardt from Yakima/Klickitat Fisheries Project.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
• 9 AM – 1:30 PM: White Salmon Community Raft Float
$25.00/person (reserve now: 877-390-9445 or click here)
Meet at Wet Planet Whitewater Center at 9.00 AM for ‘State of the River’ presentations by: Giani Benevento (long time Raft Guide), Lloyd DeKay (Geologist), Brady Allen (Fish Biologist), and Jeanette Burkhardt (Yakama Fisheries)
• 10:00 AM: Raft the Lower-Lower section of the White Salmon River, from Husum to Columbia River – a chance for the community to experience the beautiful canyons and restorative effects of nature on this previously dammed section of river.
2:30 – 4:30 PM Restoration Party at Northwestern Park
· Jeanette Burkhardt (Yakima/Klickitat Fisheries Project) invites volunteers to help perform various tasks at the restoration site on the Southwest side of Northwestern Park, such as removing sleeves from saplings.
2 – 6 PM – Kayak & SUP Clinics – beginner and intermediate level – free
• Demo kayaks provided by the Kayak Shed
· Kayak Clinics on the Middle White Salmon
· Surfing, S-Turns, and Ferry Kayak Clinics on the Lower White Salmon
· Kayak Rolling Clinic for Youth and Beginners in Wet Planet pool (2-4 PM)
· SUP Clinic on the Lower White Salmon with Drew Eastman
6 – 7 PM Husum Kayak Slalom organized by Max Blackburn and Devin Kuh
• Viewable from Husum Bridge
6 – 8 PM – White Salmon Paddle Party at Big Man’s Rotisserie
• Food provided at normal cost
• Music by the High Prairie Ramblers
• SHARE the White Salmon River
• Skamania/Klickitat County Noxious Weed Control Programs/Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area
• Stream table courtesy of River Restoration Northwest