13th Annual White Salmon River Fest ~ June 2 & 3, 2018
The White Salmon River Fest celebrates the White Salmon River, the communities, and the natural and cultural history that surrounds this watershed. This river is an invaluable social, recreational, agricultural and economic resource to those who call it home.
The River Fest aims to gather the local boating and non-boating community together for celebration, education, whitewater rafting and kayaking, food, dance, and more. Founded in 2006 by Wet Planet and traditionally co-hosted with other members from the local river community, this year’s River Fest will be a joint effort including Brendan Wells from Mountain Mind Collective in Trout Lake, Jeanette Burkhardt from Yakama Nation Fisheries, Alexa Williams from Friends of the White Salmon River, and Zach Zoller from Zoller’s Outdoor Odysseys.
Since the removal of Condit Dam in 2012, the event’s symposium portion has become the premier resource for the most up-to-date information on the decommission process. The changes occurring in the river canyon as a result of this groundbreaking hydropower removal project are of epic proportions. Join us to learn more about what is happening on your favorite Pacific Northwest River.
2018 Schedule coming soon!
2017 White Salmon River Fest and Symposium Schedule:
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM: Film Clinic & Context at the Husum Fire House
Hosted and facilitated by local kayaker and cinematographer Brendan Wells.
Learn to create a story line, get the technical nitty gritty from your gear to editing, shoot the events, and help create a film.
Registration is $30 at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2982670
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM: Zoller Trash Bash River Clean-up
Hosted and facilitated by Zach Zoller.
Help keep the White Salmon River clean, and win prizes while you’re at it! Bags and tarps will be available at the Husum Fire Hall to take boating or hiking throughout the day. Please be conscientious of private property, and know your abilities and surroundings. Collected trash should be brought to the Husum Fire Hall by 5 PM. Prizes will be awarded for “Most Trash” and “Most Interesting Item”.
6:00 PM: Symposium at the Husum Fire House – The White Salmon River: A River of Change
Hosted and facilitated by Jeanette Burkhardt from Yakama Nation Fisheries / SHARE the White Salmon River.
The perfect opportunity to ask questions, interact, and visit informational tables representing local organizations. The very informative topics and impressive speaker line-up include:
- Welcome and Intro, by SHARE the White Salmon River
- Why Streams Meander and Other Mysteries of Nature, by Janine Castro, USFWS geomorphologist
- That is How Coyote Named it – Namnit and the People of the White Salmon River, by Cheryl Mack, retired USFS archaeologist
- White Salmon River Fish Recolonization Update, by Ian Jezorek, USGS fish biologist
- Aquatic Invaders and How to Prevent Them, by Jon Erickson, Wilderness and Wild and Scenic River Specialist for the CRGNSA
- Updates: Condit Dam Decommissioning and Restoration near Northwestern Park & Underwood In-lieu Site Restoration Project, by Jeanette Burkhardt, Yakama Nation Fisheries
- Updates on the Klickitat County Shoreline Master Program Process, by Pat Arnold, Friends of the White Salmon River
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM Kayak Race on the Truss
Hosted and facilitated by Brendan Wells
Registration will take place at the event check in. More information available at the event’s Facebook page.
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Community Service Project at Northwest Park
Hosted and facilitated by Jeanette Burkhardt, Yakama Nation Fisheries with help from Skamania County Weed Program
Learn about native plant restoration and how invasive plants threaten our habitats. Help remove invasive plants from the restoration site next to Northwestern Park.
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Kids River Art Project at Northwest Park
Hosted and facilitated by Dawn and Josie Passant / Wet Planet
Families join in – come create your own Salmon celebration banner!
12:30 PM – Start Community Rafting Trip White Salmon River at Wet Planet Whitewater
Hosted and coordinated by Wet Planet Whitewater for local residents.
For our much appreciated community and local residents! $30 per person. Reservations required.
4:00 PM – 6:30 PM: Kayak and SUP events in Husum
• Boater Cross between Husum Falls & Rattlesnake
• SUP Cross Race between Husum Falls & Rattlesnake
• Registration will take place at the event check in. More information available at the event’s Facebook page.
• Live music by Tony Smiley and The Naughty Sweethearts
• Food provided by Big Man’s Rotisserie
• Camping in a beautiful meadow, included with your ticket
• Raffles with great prizes, donated by NRS, Immersion Research, Adventure Technology Paddles, O.S. Systems, Outdoor Play, Danner Boots, Dakine, Mt. Hood Meadows, Good Medicine Tea, and more! Raffle tickets available for purchase separately
• Beer generously provided by Ninkasi Brewing
• Booths to learn more about your favorite local companies, groups and organizations
• Show your support for keeping our rivers clear of invasive species – bring a receipt from washing your whitewater boat at an appropriate location (such as a carwash) for a special prize
History of the Festival
The annual White Salmon RiverFest and Symposium began as a Headwaters Institute seminar, created by Wet Planet co-owner Jaco Klinkenberg in 2006. The vision and goal for the annual event has always been increase the knowledge and awareness of the river system for local professional river guides, boaters and extended community members by bringing the whole community together, build bridges, provide fun informational and educational events, while also giving back to the community by including service projects, and free or affordable river events concluded with a celebrating party at the end.
Please contact us (courtney@wetplanetwhitewater or email@example.com) if you or your company would like to participate, support and/or help facilitate this year’s event. We would love volunteers and supporters from all over the river community!
Follow us on Facebook for more updates!