11th Annual White Salmon River Fest ~ July 13, 2016
The White Salmon River Fest celebrates the White Salmon River, the communities, and the natural and cultural history that surrounds this watershed. This river is an invaluable social, recreational, agricultural and economic resource to those who call it home.
The River Fest aims to gather the local boating and non-boating community together for celebration, education, whitewater rafting and kayaking, food, dance, and more. Founded in 2006 by Wet Planet and co-hosted for the past three years by Heather Kowaleski from All Adventures Rafting in BZ Corner, this year’s River Fest has been a joint effort including Brendan Wells from Mountain Mind Collective in Trout Lake, Max Blackburn from Immersion Research and All Adventures Rafting, and Jeanette Burkhardt from Yakima/Klickitat Fisheries Project.
Since the removal of Condit Dam in 2012, the event’s symposium portion has become the premier resource for the most up-to-date information on the decommission process. The changes occurring in the river canyon as a result of this groundbreaking hydropower removal project are of epic proportions. Join us to learn more about what is happening on your favorite Pacific Northwest River.
2016 White Salmon River Fest and Symposium tentative schedule:
7:15 PM: Symposium at Mt. View Grange Hall
• Introduction by Jeanette Burkhardt from Yakima/Klickitat Fisheries
• SHARE the White Salmon River by Brendan Wells
• Condit Decommissioning/Restoration Update by Todd Olson from PacifiCorp
• White Salmon River Fish Recolonization Update by Jill Hardiman from USGS
• Current and Upcoming Restoration Projects in the Basin and White Salmon Sub Basin Ecosystem Values Project by Tova Tillinghast from UCD and Zbigniew Grabowski from PSU
• Underwood Site Construction Update by Bill Sharp from YNFP
• USFS Wild and Scenic Update by USFS Staff
• Friends of the White Salmon River – Current/Upcoming Priorities by Pat Arnold and Sally Newall
9:00 AM: Welcome & White Salmon River Status update
Facilitated by Jeanette Burkhardt / Yakama Nation Fisheries
9:30 AM – 1:30 PM: Start Community Rafting Trip White Salmon River at Wet Planet Whitewater
(Husum-Columbia River confluence)
Hosted and coordinated by Wet Planet Whitewater for local residents
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Restoration Service Project & Kid’s Art Project at Northwestern Park
Hosted and facilitated by Jeanette Burkhardt & Heather Kowaleski/All Adventures Rafting
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Kayak Clinics at Wet Planet Whitewater
Hosted by Devin Kuh / Wet Planet Kayak School, and Max Blackburn / Immersion Research
2:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Community Salmon Bake at Husum Fire Hall
with River Stewardship Information Tabling
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Kayak and SUP events in Husum
• Boater Cross between Husum Falls & Rattlesnake
• SUP Cross Race between Husum Falls & Rattlesnake
7:30 PM – 10:00 PM Boater Party @ Big Mans after party
• Music by The Barnburners
• Beer provided by Ninkasi Brewing
• Underwood Conservation District
• Washington Water Trust
• SHARE the White Salmon River
• Skamania/Klickitat County Noxious Weed Control Programs/Columbia Gorge Cooperative Weed Management Area
• Stream table courtesy of River Restoration Northwest
• Friends of the White Salmon River
• Mid-Columbia Fisheries Enhancement Group
• Columbia Riverkeeper
History of the Festival
The annual White Salmon RiverFest and Symposium began as a Headwaters Institute seminar, created by Wet Planet co-owner Jaco Klinkenberg in 2006. The goal was to increase the knowledge of the river system for local professional river guides, boaters and community members.
Please contact the coordination team if you or your company would like to participate in the facilitation of this year’s event. We would love volunteers and supporters from all over the river community!
Follow us on Facebook for more updates!